BOSTOCK HISTORY:

THE ANCIENT FAMILY AND TOWNSHIP

Main Page Early Family History

 

Domesday Bostock Hall Origins

BOSTOCK HALL

The modern day hall was never the home of the Bostock Family for it was built in 1775 for the then lord of the manor Edward Tomkinson. There was an earlier building on this site but nothing is known of its description.
 
Built in the style of the architect Wyatt the building is 'L' shaped fronting both the drive and the gardens. It has an early Georgian style but also has much later alterations and additions and was heavily Italianised during the mid-19th century.
 
In 1794 it was bought from the Tomkinsons by the France family later the France-Hayhursts) from Liverpool. This successful merchant banking family lived here until 1950 when the property was acquired by the Manchester Education Authority as a boarding school for girls. It remained a school until 1980. It is now owned privately and has been converted into luxury apartments.
 
The grounds of Bostock Hall at one time contained ornate gardens, a long narrow lake and extensive parklands which swept down to the River Dane. Today some of the gardens and parkland contain a number of luxury homes. The apartments and the new houses accommodate people who commute into the cities of Manchester and Liverpool. 

The entrance from the main road Bostock Hall

The original moated Bostock Hall of the medieval period was pulled down in the 17th century. It lay a mile south (towards Middlewich) and its location is now marked by a clump of trees in the middle of a field.

The old hall site from the east The old hall site from the north

The old medieval hall was said to have been three stories high and of the traditional black and white appearance. It was destroyed following an out-break of plague in the 1660s when it was the home of the Mainwaring family.

Top
 
Tony Bostock 2007